University of Northern Philippines (UNP) is one of the best medical schools in the Philippines and the first government medical university in the state of Northern Luzon.
The college with more than 100 years of running, got its university accreditation in 1965. Operating over 50 years, the university offers courses in all major education sectors including medicine.
The University of Northern Philippines is one of the greatest colleges to pursue a Doctor of Medicine. Modern lab amenities, highly equipped hospitals, and skilled staffs are some of the reasons to choose UNP to do MBBS abroad.
History of UNP
The University of Northern Philippines was started as Ilocos Sur School of Arts and Trades by the late Congressman FLORO S. CRISOLOGO in 1906. It is even older than the University of the Philippines in this regard.
The university status was established in 1965, making it the first government university in northern Luzon. Since then the university has actively expanded the list of courses. The medical department under the University of Northern Philippines was founded in 1996.
The golden jubilee university with all its glory continues to expand and improvise existing features to enhance the education quality through improved skill and advanced equipment.
Accreditation, Approval, and Awards of UNP
- Top evaluated general education institution in the Philippines.
- Distinction of LEVEL IV University in the country.
- ISO certified.
- WDOMS/FAIMER Listed.
- Accredited and certified by the Commission of Higher Education (CHED).
- Awarded country’s premier state university for two consecutive years.
- Recognized medical university by World Health Organization (WHO).
- Recognized by the Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- Recognized by Medical Council of India (MCI), Indonesian Medical Council (IMC), Nepal Medical Council (NMC), Maldives Medical Council (MMC), Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC), Medical Council of Thailand (MCT) and respective boards of most nations including the US.
University of Northern Philippines – The Location
The public University of Northern Philippines is located in Barangay Tamag in the City of Vigan, Ilocos Sur Province. Vigan is a well-established city on the western coast of Luzon, which is the biggest island of the Philippines.
The Philippines is a country with a tropical climate. It has warm summers and cool winters between 21- 35-degree centigrade. It is easily adaptable for people from any part of the world. The advantage of a coastal town like Vigan makes it even better with temperatures in the range of 24 to 32.
Vigan, the capital of Ilocos Sur Province is well connected for transport. Laoag, 87 km from the city is the closest international Airport to Vigan.
Reaching Vigan should not be a problem for international students. Landing in one of the three international airports and flying to Vigan airport or taking the railways and roadways that are well connected to major cities on the Island should get you there.
The country ruled by Spain and colonized by the US for centuries is now the center of tourist attraction in south-east Asia. The long-standing city of Vigan is a UNESCO World Heritage City which will make for great sightseeing. English is a national language of the Philippines added with Filipino.
The Philippines is the largest English-speaking nation in Asia and the third-largest in the world. So, students coming in from various countries and cultures will find it easy to adopt. More than 95% of the locals speak in English which makes them feel at home. The local crime rate of zero ensures the safety of your time there. You can find most of the products and amenities like western countries.
UNP has its branches in 4 main campuses:
- Vigan Campus: The main campus that houses 14 of its core colleges including the medical college.
- Sinait Campus – The Upland Research and Development Center.
- Quimmarayan Campus – The Environmental Research and Training and Agricultural, Fishery, Research.
- Santa Maria Campus – The Marine Research and Development Centre
Facilities available at UNP
The management believes in offering the best of facilities and comfort to the students while they are at UNP. Here is the list of remarkable facilities in UNP,
- Highly equipped separate labs for every need.
- Fully air-conditioned classrooms.
- UNP hospital with modern equipment and advanced treatment facilities.
- In-campus hostel facilities with separate rooms, food, laundry, high-speed internet.
- Indian food Cafeteria.
A large network of tied-up hospitals for clinical clerkship to be done by students in the final year.
- Candon General Hospital,
- Salcedo District Hospital,
- St. Lucia District Hospital,
- Southern Ilocos Sur District Hospital,
- Sto. Nino,
- Cagayan Valley Medical centre,
- Candon City Hospital,
- Central ilocos Sur District Hospital and
- Ilocos Region Training Medical centre.
The University of Northern Philippines faculty and teaching
The UNP acknowledges faculty as one of the biggest contributing factors for quality education. And standing by that, the University has some of the best teaching faculty in various sub-domains of medicine.
UNP has a specialist from all the domains which enables students to choose any domain and get their speciality training during the course itself.
The education system followed across the Philippines is very much similar to the US-based PBL curriculum. UNP has designed the course in the same principles providing as much practical knowledge as possible. With regular visits to UNP hospitals, Live demo, and Lab sessions, the learning experience at the University of Northern Philippines is a complete package for anyone seeking to pursue a Doctor of Medicine (MD).
The medium of teaching is completely through English. So, there is no barrier in it for any foreign students including Indians.
Admissions: How to get into UNP?
The University of Northern Philippines values all people equally in the pursuit of spreading knowledge. Every year people from more than 55 countries come to the Philippines to pursue courses in Medicine. It is the mix of diverse people, their culture, and the exposure they get that enriches the experience of doing MBBS in the Philippines, particularly in UNP.
The University of Northern Philippines has had the highest number of foreign students compared to other universities in the Philippines, for years now. They achieve it by the quality of education and like-home experience they offer in the campus hostels.
The requirements to get into the University of Northern Philippines for MD are set very low making it possible for everyone. The university requires a minimum of 50% in Physics, Chemistry, and Maths in school to join Bachelorette of Science (BS). Upon BS completion the person must score a minimum percentile to apply for Doctor of Medicine at UNP. There is no capitation fee or any other pre-joining requests.
UNP offers pre-medicine bachelorette and Doctor of Medicine course both on campus. Applying for BS will be done from the Alpha International Academy, India. The process through NMAT and MD will also be assisted when required.
University of Northern Philippines fee structure
The Philippines is known to be one of the cheapest English-speaking countries in the world. Having many valuable educational instructions also makes the country one of the sought-out places to study courses like MBBS in abroad. Especially people from south Asian countries like India, Malaysia, Thailand prefer coming here every year for MD alone.
The University of Northern Philippines is a public university that offers MD courses at the lowest fees. Here is the fee structure for the upcoming year.
|Course – year||USD||INR|
|BS – 1||5,500||3,85,000|
|BS 2 – 4||4,000||2,80,000|
|MD – 1||3,000||2,10,000|
|MD – 2||3,000||2,10,000|
|MD – 3||3,000||2,10,000|
|MD – 4||3,000||2,10,000|
Hostel fees per month ~ 220 USD (16,000 INR) for accommodation in AC room with Indian food, internet, laundry, housekeeping, etc.
All this together you might be looking around 15Lakhs INR for education fees alone and 9lakhs INR for accommodation for all the 64 months required to complete Pre-medicine and MBBS in the Philippines.
Training and placement of studying in the Philippines
The high standards of education facilitate students graduating from UNP to practice in most foreign countries. UNP Alumni have moved to most major countries like the US successfully clearing the USMLE.
The University of Northern Philippines boasts a very high 90% success rate in the MCI tests and USMLE.
The university’s tie-up of hospitals helps proper exposure during their one year of clinical clerkship in the final year. Further tie-ups with US colleges can be helpful for students aspiring to practice in western countries.
As the college is recognized by WHO, MCI, and most country’s medical boards, moving into any country for practice is easier than graduating from India. Students from UNP have scored the first rank in 2013, 2017, and top 3 ranks in most other years.
Why the Philippines is best for Indian students pursuing MBBS in abroad?
- The Philippines is the 3rd largest English-speaking country in the world
- 90% of people know English. So, no language barrier
- Tropical climate similar to India
- Low crime rate. A safe place to live.
- Easily accessible via air transport
- International Exposure
- Low cost of living and overall expenses
- The medium of instruction in English
Why UNP is the best college in the Philippines?
- Government University
- ISO certified
- WHO recognized
- WDOMS/FAIMER Listed
- Recognized by Medical Council of India (MCI) and medical councils of most countries.
- A lot of affiliated hospitals
- Advanced education system similar to that of US.
- Zero capitation fee
- Low and affordable fee (Education fee and hostel) cheaper than most Indian institutions
- International exposure to students coming from over 55 countries.
- High-class accommodation facilities with Air-conditioned rooms, internet, laundry and all other amenities.
- Indian food available
- Graduated students ranking no:1 in MCI screening test (FMGE) in 2013 and 2017
- 85.1% passing rate in FMGE 2019.
- UNP students won “Most Outstanding International Student in the Philippines” in 2013, 2016 and 2019.
- UNP graduates practising in the US and many major countries successfully.